A blog dedicated to the love of guns, gun restoration, repair and customization Thursday, July 9, Marlin Model DL project part 1 I bought this Marlin bolt action.
We originally added a slip on Pachmayr recoil pad, not because of the massive recoil generated by the. It made for a very long length of pull, but my son was a trooper and found a way to shoot it anyway. I figured I would get to it someday The stock is a blond color, probably birch or beech wood.
I would like to stain it a walnut color. At the same time I will fix the back of the stock. Here is how the gun looked like before I started. As with all my projects I like to do a little research on the model of gun I am working on. Model 81 production was resumed in and continued until The gun has a 24" barrel, tubular magazine that holds The DL in the model number stands for Deluxe, which means the gun came with a rear peep sight and sling swivels.
Marlin did not put serial numbers on their. This is what I found: In they switched from standard rifling to Marlin's trademark Micro-groove rifling. In they added an 11mm groove to the top of the receiver for scope mounting. This gun has the Micro-groove rifling and it has a plastic trigger guard but it does not have the grooved receiver. This means that this gun was built sometime between and This Marlin ad is from and appears to show the plastic trigger guard: A reproduction of the original hang tag Here is the damage to the stock: This is a little long for me, but even longer for a women or a young adult.
I will cut some off the butt stock before adding a pad, bringing the LOP to around 13". This would also remove some of the damaged area as well. For the recoil pad, I decided to use a trick I found on one of the online forums.
They have a smooth side on the top and a "grippy" side on the bottom. A recoil pad has three jobs: I'll use the cut-off portion to make the repair. We need to cut the stock, repair the chip, sand, stain and refinish the stock. Before marking the line to cut the stock I checked the pitch angle the angle of the butt relative to the comb. As you can see this gun has a positive pitch angle. This may be important on a shotgun or heavy recoiling rifle setting a positive pitch will help tame recoil , but on this gun that is not a concern, also it will be fired by children and women besides myself so I am not concerned with making it fit me.
I also checked the comb angle and it has a slight upward angle, which is not all that uncommon on a rimfire rifle. I decided to cut the butt at 90 degrees to the comb. I tapped the stock to prevent the saw blade from ripping chips out of the edge and marked the line. I will be using a compound miter saw, so cutting a 90 degree angle will be easy. Now that we know what we want to do, onto to dis-assembly and repair in part 2 Posted by.